Tuesday, April 16, 2013

starting point

As the shop comes into focus, as it opens, I'll work on posting more.  But with the events that happened, something crossed my mind that I thought was too important not to mention.

I got an email today from a customer who wanted a refund for incense that was bought.  Now, to be fair, a large amount of resin incense was purchased.  So, honestly, I didn't know if I was selling it too cheaply, or maybe they needed a lot for an event, to resell, whatever...but I was happy to have the little sale and sent it along.

A week later, the individual wants to return it because it is 'too smokey'.  Hmm.  With the small flurry of emails which went back and forth, it occurred to me that perhaps the individual was not familiar with using resin incense.

So, trying to be tactful, I explained that the resin was of Myrrh and Frankincense was actually the purest form of the incense, and the resin iseffectively burned on a charcoal, and only a few pieces at a time.  This prevents a great amount of smoke, but you will have to expect smoke.  If the smoke is too strong, I suggested to use sticks indoors, because powders might have the same effect if they were worried about air quality.


A few odd emails later, the customer thanked me and decided that they'd keep the incense.  I don't know if it was maybe the cost of the incense wasn't worth the return hassle or if, in embarrassment  they decided they wanted to keep it after all.

The point I'm trying to make here is that no matter what kind of magical practitioner you are, you have to start somewhere.  Even Gerald Gardner was a beginner once, and he's renowned as the father of modern Wicca.

Not everyone is blessed enough to stumble upon a coven.  But even if you are not looking to practice as a group, I encourage anyone who is interested in the magical, occult, arcane, metaphysical - whatever you like to call it - to seek out others of a like mind.  Be a Seeker.  Because regardless if you wind up in circle together, you can glean more in 20 minutes of discussion than you can in a dozen books.

I learned about the incense the hard way, coincidentally.  I was young, right before I was married, and I was at home alone and experimenting with some minor observances and spell work.  I thought that some powdered incense would be rather effective, so onto the charcoal it went.

Just so you know....if you're clumsy enough to set off the fire alarm, sometimes a wet towel can help dampen out the smoke before it starts making the detector squeal.  But if you've got a fancy house, and something like security monitoring, it's kind of handy to know beforehand, so you don't have to pay the outrageous fees for false alarms.  Being able to humble yourself and just plain 'ole ask questions might save you a headache, a heartache, or keep you from second-guessing yourself.  You don't have to worship some showcase guru, you don't have to be pressured to join in a group, or do anything you don't want to do.  But being able to talk shop can give you all sorts of insights you didn't realize you needed.

Just a word to the wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment